Saturday, April 12, 2008

Went To My LYS Today

I am terribly excited. I went to my Local Yarn Store (Knitwicks) today and sat and knitted for a while with some wonderful ladies. It was the first time I have ever done anything like this. Since becoming a mother I have had a horrible time connecting to other women. In the mommy and me type groups I was always too crunchy. In other groups I was not crunchy enough. Then when the kids got older I started looking for a nice homeschooling group to join but found it very difficult to connect to any of them. In some we were to religious and in others not enough and then there was the crazy one where we were too poor.
But here age did not matter, religious preference not a problem and money not needed. All were welcome and knitting advice shared freely. It felt a little surreal at first because I have not felt this welcomed in a long time. I was so excited to see a group of women of all ages come together in such a positive environment. I have been looking for something like this for a really really long time. I am so excited about getting to know all of them better.
We just recently learned of the passing of a close friend that had suffered for many years from MS. She was very close to my age and it made me realize that I have become isolated from other women and I need to reconnect. I had to make myself go today and at first I just looked at the yarn in the store and felt like I could bolt at any minute. After a few minutes I realized that they were not going to bite me and it is okay to be afraid but not okay to not try. I am very glad I did. Well now I had better go save my husband from the kids.
Peace

No comments: